Advertise    Write for Us

Vectorboom

New to Illustrator - Illustrator Forum

New messages / Members / Forum rules / Search / RSS
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: jaroslav  
Illustrator Forum » Questions » Vector Graphics » New to Illustrator (Help needed with an Illustrator problem please)
New to Illustrator
supernubeDate: Tuesday, 2019 Apr 02, 14:02 | Message # 1
Group: Human
Hello to you all.
I have just signed in for the first time on Vector Boom in the hope somebody will be able to help me with a no doubt simple / obvious problem.... I am trying to solve by self teaching ..playing about and lots of online searching :-)
I want to make a individual letter or number that contains text ...the kind of thing you have all seen many times before Im sure...I can just about manage that ..but I cant seem to give the letter / number an outline or stroke.
I am obviously doing it wrong...or aproaching it in the wrong way..... I can put a stroke around a number / letter normally...but not once or before filling that letter / number with text.
Im not sure if it even is a stroke...or maybe an outline....and Ive stressed myself out so much Im getting stropy :-(
Without having Illustrator open in front of me I cant remember the exact route I took...but I know I had to Object ...expand...then back to Object ...compound path ..release ?..and it seems to be this point I am changing something thats stopping me being able to progress....
This is pretty much the first time I have tried anything with Illustrator...and I know I should start right at the beginning but this is just a little something I wondered about and dived in to for my first "lesson" ...I really would like some help figuring out what I have got wrong...or what I dont understand...just so I can put an answer to it.....Thank you.
Im sorry for my lack of knowledge with Illustrator ...but I am trying.
Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Daniel

supernubeDate: Tuesday, 2019 Apr 02, 14:07 | Message # 2
This is the kind of thing I am trying to learn to do.

Thank you

supernubeDate: Tuesday, 2019 Apr 02, 14:09 | Message # 3
Sorry lol
Attachments: 5858780.gif(157.8 Kb)

supernubeDate: Tuesday, 2019 Apr 02, 14:44 | Message # 4
I also realise...having had a quick look through the forum ..that I might well be in the wrong forums for my level of knowledge...so I am happy to accept suggestions for a more appropriate site for my questions.
Thanks

supernubeDate: Tuesday, 2019 Apr 02, 18:27 | Message # 5
Ok what about this...

I converted the text to a shape by creating outlines...

then No Fill...and gave it a Stroke

then went to object - expand - expand Fill and Stroke... (No idea what this does)

then Compound Path - release... (No idea what this does either)

I had to then do No Fill and give it a Stroke again ?? (as it seemed to go back to original Fill with no Stroke or a Stroke I couldnt see ??)

I then clicked on the path with the Text tool....

which then seemed to get rid of the extra Stroke taking it back to the original Stroke weight ?

and I then was able to put text inside the shape.

I appologise for the question marks but although it seems to have worked.. I have no idea if what I have done is the correct way ...If it would actually print out as It looks on the Artboard or If I have done it completely wrong and theres a correct ..and no doubt easier way ??

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Daniel

HenryBraxtonDate: Sunday, 2019 Apr 14, 00:24 | Message # 6
I am trying to make cribbage board lanes to be laser engraved on a piece of wood. I made one in sketchup but sketchup doesn't make true arcs so that it won't work. I'm comfortable with photoshop and sketchup but clueless in illustrator. In sketchup I was able to turn an object that was repeated frequently into a "component". I could then edit the component once and all instances of it in my layout would be updated to reflect the changes. SmartObjects in photoshop could be used in a similar manner. Is there away to do this in illustrator. I can't find any reference to smart objects in the menus. Thanks.

Illustrator Forum » Questions » Vector Graphics » New to Illustrator (Help needed with an Illustrator problem please)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Subscribe Now!
RSS feed twitter
Username
Password
Recent Consultations
How to Illustrate a Handgun in Adobe Illustrator
Shortcuts for VectorScribe (PathScribe): Part 3
Great Collection of Christmas Illustrator Tutorials
How to Deform Objects Using Envelope Distort with Warp in Adobe Illustrator
VectorScribe and SubScribe updates now available